A naturel genius [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > A naturel genius [graphic].
- A naturel genius [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Natural genius
- Williams, Charles, active 1797-1830, printmaker
- Tegg, Thomas, 1776-1846, publisher.
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- Thomas Tegg
"An elegant schoolmistress in a neat parlour addresses two visitors, a fat and over-dressed farmer's wife with a daughter of about fifteen, similarly dressed and resembling her mother. On the right is a piano with open music, and a chair on which is propped a needlework picture of Charlotte mourning under a weeping willow, at a tomb with an urn inscribed 'Werter'. The governess holds in her hand a card: 'Terms of B[on] Tons School'; she points to the picture, saying, "You would perhaps like the Young Lady to work something in silks Madam! there is a pretty subject, Charlotte at the Tomb of Werter". The visitor exclaims: "A very pretty piece I pertest! my Dater has a Genii for Drawing! Penelope my dear! you shall work Charlotte at the Tub of Water". The girl, delighted, answers: "La Mother! I shall like that! you know Mounseer Gumboge says: I make Water as natural as Life". Trees are seen through an open window."--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched below image.
Printmaker and date of publication from British Museum catalogue.
Plate from: Woodward, G.M. Caricature magazine, or Hudibrastic mirror. London : Thomas Tegg, [1808?], v. 1.
Also issued separately.
Sheet trimmed to plate mark on top edge leaving thread margin.
- 1 print : plate mark 24.5 x 34.8 cm, on sheet 25 x 37 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Collection Title
- V. 1. Caricature magazine, or, Hudibrastic mirror.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Woodward, G. M. (George Moutard), approximately 1760-1809.
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1810
Etchings England London 1810
Watermarks (Paper) 1817
- etching with stipple ; and wove paper hand-colored.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
- Subject (Name)
- Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von, 1749-1832.
- Subject (Topic)
Clothing & dress
Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von, 1749-1832
Clothing & dress > England > 1810-1820
Social classes > England
England > 1810
England > London > 1810
Johnstone, Henry Arthur > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)