36 pr. cent discount at Calcutta [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > 36 pr. cent discount at Calcutta [graphic].
- 36 pr. cent discount at Calcutta [graphic].
- Alternative Title
Thirty-six percent discount at Calcutta
36 per cent discount at Calcutta
- Holland, William, 1746-1819, publisher.
- Published / Created
- [February 1803]
- Publication Place
- Pub. Feb. 1803 by Willm. Holland No. 11 Cockspur Street
"Two dark-complexioned money-lenders, Eurasians or Portuguese, sit facing each other at a round table. One (left), with a cane under his arm, appears to be a visitor; he regards his vis-à-vis with a fixed and cunning grin, holding out a bill or cheque, and pointing to an open chest containing money-bags which is on the ground. The other (right) stares angrily, leaning on the table and clutching a large money-bag. He wears a shirt and waistcoat with breeches and shoes; the other wears a short jacket or long spencer, breeches, and boots. The figures are strongly lit, the room is in deep shadow. Apparently a companion plate to No. 11833. Cf. also Nos. 12164, 12165."--British Museum online catalogue
Title from caption below image.
Text following imprint: of whom all the other caricatures may he had.
Watermark: Turkey Mill 1825.
Publication date changed to "1803" from "1811" in manuscript.
- 1 print : plate mark 24.6 x 35 cm, on sheet 27 x 40 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1811
Etchings England London 1811
- aquatint with etching ; and wove paper hand-colored.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
- Subject (Topic)
England > 1811
England > London > 1811
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)