[The music room] [art original].
Lewis Walpole Library > [The music room] [art original].
- [The music room] [art original].
- Martin, Elias, 1739-1818, artist
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
A woman in bonnet and dress plays a harpsicord, the sheet music propped up on the instrument. Her music teacher, a large man with a beauty patch on his check, smiles approvingly as he points with his baton
Title devised by cataloger.
Artist from Horace Walpole inscription on a companion painting: The library.
One of the companion paintings is also in the Lewis Walpole Library. See Martin's "The library."
Formerly hung in the "red bed chamber" at Strawberry Hill, Twickenham, home of Horace Walpole. Sold at the 1842 London sale as one of the "Four humourous drawings, washed, perfectly unique of their kind, by Elias Martin."
For further information, consult library staff.
- 1 drawing : oval sheet 15.6 x 13.1 cm, mounted to 22 x 19 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- SH Contents M379 no. 2 Box 110
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Wash drawings British 18th century
- brown wash, pen and black ink with watercolor ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
- Strawberry Hill (Twickenham, London, England)
- Subject (Topic)
Strawberry Hill (Twickenham, London, England)
British > 18th century
Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Elias Martin, The Music Room. The Lewis Walpole Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)