Commentaries on the Sunday Epistles; theologico-moral treatises
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Commentaries on the Sunday Epistles; theologico-moral treatises
- Commentaries on the Sunday Epistles; theologico-moral treatises
- Gerson, Jean,--1363-1429
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1450]
- Publication Place
Manuscript on paper of 1) Epistles for the Sundays, from Easter to the 16th Sunday after Pentecost, with commentary. 2) Epistles for the Sundays, from Easter to Palm Sunday, with commentary. 3) Summa poenitentiariorum, a commentary on the poem Poeniteas cito. 4) Short instructions for confession, followed by an extensive list in tabular form of sins, the Ten Commandments, the Seven Sacraments, the Works of Bodily Charity, the Works of Spiritual Charity, the Beatitudes, the Cardinal Virtues, the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. 5) Lumen animae. Theological and moral treatise in alphabetical form based on hundreds of quotations, mostly from texts of a scientific nature (medicine, natural history, astrology, alchemy, philosophy, etc.). 6) Jean Gerson, Donatus spiritualis. 7) Note on sexual perversities.
Binding: Nineteenth century. Quarter binding, dark brown flat leather spine, the cardboard covers covered with dark brown paper paper.
Collection of Bernard M. Rosenthal, Booksellers, Berkeley, CA (MS 111). Purchased from him in 1994 on the Edwin J. Beinecke Fund.
Red underlining, stroking of majuscules and plain initials of various sizes. A littera duplex (black and red) on ff. 1r and 38r. The decoration is missing at the end of art. 1 (starting f. 32r).
Script: Copied by several similar hands in Gothica Cursiva or Semihybrida Currens; Libraria in art. 5. The headings and the commented texts are in a large, bold and more careful form of the same script; we see Gothica Textualis Formata at the opening of art. 1, the first section of art. 2 and the opening of art. 3.
- ff. ii + 342 + i : paper ; 210 x 145 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 861
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Gerson, Jean,--1363-1429
- Subject (Topic)
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Theology--History--Middle Ages, 600-1500
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Commentaries on the Sunday Epistles; Theologico-Moral Treatises. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)
- More Information