Orator Henley christening a child [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > Orator Henley christening a child [graphic]
- Orator Henley christening a child [graphic]
- Ireland, Samuel, -1800, printmaker
- Hogarth, William, 1697-1764, artist.
- Published / Created
- [1 March 1786]
- Publication Place
- Publish'd March 1st 1786, by W. Dickenson, No. 158 New Bond St.
Orator Henley christening a child, after an oil sketch by Hogarth; the cleric stands holding the infant over a large, empty baptismal font, with the mother beside him to left. To his right stand a man who holds his hat and a stout woman, while in front a child, wearing a plumed hat and standing on tiptoe, reaches into the font, tipping the shallow bowl and spilling the water
Title engraved below image.
Also signed below image: Hogarth pinxt ; S. Ireland fecit 1785.
Dedication etched below title: To Francis Grose Esq. F.A.S. an encourager & promoter of the arts, this etching from his favorite Hogarth is inscribed by his obliged friend & servant, Saml. Ireland.
Sheet trimmed within plate mark.
For related work by Sympson see: Paulson, R. Hogarth's graphic works (2nd ed.), p. 310.
See no. 2837 for original painting in reverse in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 3.
- 1 print : sheet 37.9 x 29 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Kinnaird 88K(a) Box 225
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Etchings England London 1786
- etching ; and wove paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
- Henley, John, 1692-1756
- Subject (Topic)
Henley, John, 1692-1756 > Caricatures and cartoons
England > London > 1786
Kinnaird, Charles Kinnaird, Baron, 1780-1826 > Ownership
Steevens, George, 1736-1800 > Ownership
Perrins, Charles William Dyson, 1864-1958 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)