Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Breviary
- Catholic Church--Liturgy
- Published / Created
- [between 1500 and 1550]
- Publication Place
Manuscript on parchment (sturdy).
Binding: Original, yellowish pigskin over bevelled wooden boards; both covers blind-tooled with frames of fillets and rolls. Spine blind-tooled with three raised bands. Remnants of two clasps attached to the rear board, with engraved brass catches (one partly preserved) on the front board. Yellow spine.
Red rubrics and red stroking of majuscules. Red initials: 1-line versals, 2-line plain initials; art. 1 opens with a 4-line initial and features several 3-line initials, all of the same type as the other ones in the manuscript.
Script: Copied by two hands, both writing Gothica Textualis Formata. Hand A copied ff. 1r-8v (art. 1) in bold script with little angulariy and long ascenders and descenders; hand B copied all the other pages in Textus Semiquadratus in two sizes, with conspicable forking at the top of the ascenders, spurs, hairlines, a very short d and Southern German or Central European features such as the shape of the -orum and -arum abbreviations, the use of y for ii, etc. The texts on the inserted leaflets in art. 2 and some corrections are in Gothica Hybrida (Fractura).
Slips of parchment with additional texts have been inserted between ff. 18-19, 33-34, 35-36.
- ff. 133 : parchment ; 160 x 115mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 896
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Breviary. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)
- More Information