Commentary on the metaphysics
- Commentary on the metaphysics
- Bianchi, Giacomo
- Published / Created
- [between 1300 and 1400]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on parchment containing 1) Iacobus de Blanchis de Alexandria OFM (Giacomo Bianchi, 1300-1350), Commentum in XII libros Metaphysicorum Aristotelis. 2) Table of contents of art. 1. 3) Gonsalvus de Vallebona OFM (Gonsalvus Hispanus, c. 1255-1313), Conclusiones Metaphysicae Aristotelis. 4) Table of Contents of Aristoteles, Metaphysica.
Binding: ca. 1900. "Bound by Birdsall, Northampton" (blind-stamped inscription on the inside front cover): blond-tooled brown morocco over cardboard, spine with four raised bands. Gold-tooled title on spine in Gothic script: "Jacobus / Alexan/driae / Com-/pilatio / Metrice [sic] / distincta / Capitu-/lorum / MS. / xiv Cent."
MS 217 in the collection of Bernard M. Rosenthal, Berkeley, California. Purchased from him on the Edwin J. Beinecke Fund.
Numerous alternately red and blue paragraph marks. Alternately red and blue 2-line flourished initials with penwork in the opposite colours; there are 3-line initials of the same type at the beginning of each book in art. 1 and at the opening of art. 4 (in the latter case a red letter with mauve penwork). A 4-line flourished initial in the same colours with develped penwork at the opening of art. 1, and space for a similar one has been reserved at the opening of art. 3. There is space and there are instructions for the rubricator in view of the adding of headings in art. 2, but these have not been executed. The headings of artt. 1 and 3 have been deleted or rubbed off.
Script: Copied in a small, highly abbreviated Gothica Semitextualis Libraria with southern features.
Uneven lower edges. First and last page dampstained, with loss of some text.
- ff. ii + 68 + ii : parchment ; 210 x 150 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 919
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Subject (Topic)
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Metaphysics--Early works to 1800
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Iacobus de Alexandria, Commentary on the Metaphysics. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- More Information