The dentist [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > The dentist [graphic]
- The dentist [graphic]
- Topham, Edward, 1751-1820, artist
- Darly, Matthias, approximately 1720-approximately 1778, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- [5 November 1778]
- Publication Place
- Pub. Novr. 5, 1778 by M Darly
A fat and bewigged dentist pokes at the mouth of a homely woman wearing a cap and low-cut dress. She is seated in a straight chair on a patterned carpet, with a large picture of a mouth and teeth hanging on the wall behind the pair. Beneath the title, text as follows: "I cures all the disorders of the mouth. I draws teeth in a minute without pain. I makes natural or artificial teeth & have invented a substance that answers the purpose of gums."
Title from item.
Signed in lower left of plate E.T., i.e. Edward Topham.
MD of publisher's name forms a monogram.
Sheet trimmed within plate mark.
Not in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires.
- 1 print : sheet 26 x 18 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)