- Aristotle and Bruni, Leonardo, 1369-1444
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1450]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on parchment of Aristotle, Ethica. An anonymous Tuscan translation made for Nuno de Guzman from the Latin translation of Leonardo Bruni.
Acquired by David Wagstaff; gift of Mrs. David Wagstaff in 1943.
Binding: Eighteenth century. Edges gilt. Green calf with tan, gold-tooled label.
Script: Text written in a well formed humanistic bookhand by a single scribe; the rubrics, in majuscules, by another scribe who used excessive punctuation.
Significant stains in margins of first few leaves.
The decoration is by Gioacchino de' Gigantibus. A gold initial, 5-line, on f. 1r embedded in white vine ornament, extending into sides, top, and lower margin, filled in with green, red, and blue, with small section at regular intervals filled with gold; a green bird near the initial; in lower margin, an empty laurel wreath supported by putti filled later with a coat of arms (unidentified) in pen, now effaced; a few gold dots with hair-spray in brown ink. Other initials, gold, 5- to 4-line, on ff. 7r, 93v, 106v, 126r, 161v, in same manner, but with gold infilling.
- ff. i + 180 + i : parchment ; 260 x 180 (164 x 113) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 151
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Subject (Topic)
Ethics--Early works to 1800
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval
Italian literature--15th century
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Aristotle, Ethica. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, MS 151.
- Orbis Record
- More Information