The nuptial-bower with the Evil-One peeping at the charms of Eden, from Milton / [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > The nuptial-bower with the Evil-One peeping at the charms of Eden, from Milton / [graphic]
- The nuptial-bower with the Evil-One peeping at the charms of Eden, from Milton / [graphic]
- Alternative Title
- To the nuptial-bower he led her, blushing like the morn
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker
- Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
- Published / Created
- [13 February 1797]
- Publication Place
- Pubd. Feby. 13th, 1797, by H. Humphrey, New Bond Street
"Pitt, grotesquely thin and much caricatured, leads Eleanor Eden, a conventionally pretty woman, towards a bower (right) covered with a vine bearing many bunches of grapes interspersed with coronets. Within it are three large sacks inscribed '£'. His left hand is on her back, his right points to the bower. She advances demurely, a fan inscribed 'Treasury' held before her face. A Cupid with a torch flies before them. The Devil, a fat nude creature with webbed wings and the face of Fox, crouches behind the bower (right), impotently gnashing his teeth and clenching his fists. Ribbons with the jewels and star of an order are twined in the bower; more coronets and a star emerge from the ground. ..."--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched at bottom of image.
One line of quoted text to left of title: "To the nuptial-bower he led her, blushing like the morn."
Sheet trimmed within plate mark.
Temporary local subject terms: Money: sacks of money -- Coronets -- Demons -- Cupids -- Female dress: fans -- William Pitt the Younger's debts -- Reference to Lord Auckland.
Watermark: Strasburg lily.
- 1 print : sheet 26 x 36 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Satires (Visual works) England 1797
Etchings England London 1797
- etching ; and laid paper hand-colored.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
Fox, Charles James, 1749-1806
Pitt, William, 1759-1806
Buckinghamshire, Eleanor Hobart, Countess of, 1777-1851
Fox, Charles James, 1749-1806 > Caricatures and cartoons
Pitt, William, 1759-1806 > Caricatures and cartoons
Buckinghamshire, Eleanor Hobart, Countess of, 1777-1851 > Caricatures and cartoons
England > 1797
England > London > 1797
Riviere & Son > Binding
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley > Ownership
Harvey, Francis > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)