Portrait de Mme. du Deffand appartement a Walpolè [art original].
Lewis Walpole Library > Portrait de Mme. du Deffand appartement a Walpolè [art original].
- Portrait de Mme. du Deffand appartement a Walpolè [art original].
- Published / Created
- [not before 1769?]
- Publication Place
From the description of the Breakfast Room in the 1784 edition of Description of the villa of Mr. Horace Walpole: "Madame la marquise de Deffand and the duchesse de Choiseul giving her a doll, which the former, who was blind, holds out her hand to receive; alluding to her calling the ducess Grand Mamam ...by M. Carmontel, a gentleman belonging to the Duke of Orleans .. a washed drawing." See p. 26.
Title from ms. note in ink below image.
After the Carmontelle watercolor that hung in the Breakfast room at Strawberry Hill and sold at the Strawberry Hill sale eleventh day, lot 111.
Date based on the correspondence between Walpole and Du Deffand. See Yale edition of the correspondence, vol. 4.
- 1 drawing : image 148 x 110 mm, on sheet 155 x 116 mm, mounted on gray paper sheet 170 x 130 mm
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- SH Contents C287 no. 1 Box 100
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- watercolor ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
Du Deffand, Marie de Vichy Chamrond, marquise, 1697-1780,
Choiseul, Louise Honorine Crozat, duchesse de, 1734-1801,
Du Deffand, Marie de Vichy Chamrond, marquise, 1697-1780
Choiseul, Louise Honorine Crozat, duchesse de, 1734-1801
Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 > Ms. notes
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)