[Portrait of John Watson] [art original].
Lewis Walpole Library > [Portrait of John Watson] [art original].
- [Portrait of John Watson] [art original].
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
Ink and pencil copy of an eighteenth-century engraved portrait of John Watson, Church of England clergyman and antiquary. Watson is drawn half-length directed to the right, with his head almost in profile, right hand on hip, left holding a scroll in front of him with his elbow propped on an unseen ledge; wearing dark clerical robes with waistband, and white bell-bottomed wig. A numbered .5 cm grid is penciled over the ink drawing
Title devised by cataloger.
A copy of a 1780 engraved portrait by James Basire after Daniel Stringer.
For further information, consult library staff.
- 1 drawing : image 23.7 x 24 cm, on sheet 30.6 x 24 cm
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Drawings Un58 no. 11 Box D155
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Graphite drawings British 18th century
Ink drawings British 18th century
- pen and black ink with graphite pencil ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
- Watson, John, 1725-1783
- Subject (Topic)
- Portrait drawings
Watson, John, 1725-1783 > Portraits
British > 18th century
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Portrait of John Watson. The Lewis Walpole Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)