Office of Holy Communion
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Office of Holy Communion
- Office of Holy Communion
- Orthodoxos Ekklēsia tēs Hellados
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1325]
- Publication Place
- Byzantine Empire,
Manuscript scroll, on parchment, in a single hand, containing the Greek Orthodox Office of Holy Communion, a series of prayers, hymns and verses intended for private recitation before, during and after taking communion. Text includes prayers attributed to Saint John Chrysostom and Saint Basil the Great.
Formerly owned by the monastery of Docheiariou, Mount Athos; ex libris Frederick North, 5th Earl of Guilford; Phillipps MS 3889; Schøyen Collection MS 662. Purchased from Les Enluminures, Ltd. on the Edwin J. Beinecke Book Fund, 2011.
Note, in Greek, in a sixteenth-century hand, at the end of the text, attributing the manuscript to the Royal Monastery of Docheiariou.
Script: archaizing scribal hand.
Scroll composed of seven vellum sheets, written on both sides in single columns.
Titles are written in gold. Each prayer begins with an illuminated initial, also outlined in gold. There is a gilded ornamented tailpiece.
- 1 scroll : parchment ; 426 x 16 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
Greek, Ancient (to 1453)
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 1155
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Scrolls (information artifacts)
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
Monē Docheiariou (Athos, Greece)
Monē Docheiariou (Athos, Greece)--Ownership
North, Frederick,--Earl of Guilford,--1766-1827--Ownership
Orthodoxos Ekklēsia tēs Hellados
- Subject (Topic)
Lord's Supper (Liturgy)--Texts
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Orthodox Eastern monasticism and religious orders
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orthodoxos Ekklēsia tēs Hellados, Office of Holy Communion. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)
- More Information