Historia Alexandri Magni, etc.
- Historia Alexandri Magni, etc.
- Rufus, Curtius
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1460-65]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on parchment of 1) Curtius Rufus, Historia Alexandri Magni, translated into Italian and supplemented with material from Plutarch by Pier Candido Decembrio. 2) Pier Candido Decembrio, Comparazione di Cesare e d'Alessandro Magno.
Binding: 15th-16th centuries, Italy. Sewn on four tawed skin, slit straps laid in channels on the outside of wooden boards and pegged. Gilt edges. Covered in brown goatskin with corner tongues, and blind-tooled with a ropework star inside painted (red) and blind-tooled circles inside a floral border, all with metallic annular dots. There are traces of four leaf-shaped fastenings, the catches on the lower board, the upper one cut in for fabric straps attached with star-headed nails. Rebacked twice.
One illuminated intial, 6-line, gold against blue, green and pink ground with white vine-stem ornament, extending into inner margin to form a partial border; terminating at top and bottom in pen inkspray with buds in green and pink and gold balls with hair-line extensions. Plain initials, 3- to 2-line, in blue, mark text divisions; headings in pale red.
Purchased from Lathrop C. Harper in 1949 by Thomas E. Marston.
Script: Written by a single scribe in a slightly rounded humanistic bookhand with many cursive elements, below top line.
- ff. ii + 216 + ii : parchment ; 292 x 215 (176 x 114) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Marston MS 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
Decembrio, Pier Candido,--1399-1477
- Subject (Topic)
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval
Italian literature--15th century
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Curtius Rufus, Historia Alexandri Magni, etc. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Marston MS 9.
- Orbis Record
- More Information