Unidentified grammatical treatise, Vita vergiliana, etc.
- Unidentified grammatical treatise, Vita vergiliana, etc.
- Bonisoli, Ognibene, ca. 1412-1474
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on paper, composed in two parts, of 1) Unidentified grammatical text. 2) Vita virgiliana. 3) Preface to Servius' In Vergilii Aeneidos libros Commentarius. 4) Leonicenus Omnibonus (ca. 1412-ca.1480), De arte metrica. 5) Ps.-Lentulus, Epistola de conditione Domini nostri Iesu Christi.
Binding: Fifteenth century, Italy. Two pairs of tunnels in the edges of the boards, and the supports laced into one or the other of them to channels in the outside and nailed. Partly resewn. Boards sharply bevelled, with the fore-edge bevel broken off the upper board. Quarter vellum binding, a later addition. Title in ink on lower board, partially visible under ultra-violet light: "Vita Vergilii [another word illegible]/ Documenta". Later title in ink on spine: "Varia man. scr./ vetera" and what appears to be a monogram or shelf-mark with letters I, F, O, T, H in ink on vellum addition.
Part I: Plain intials (1-line), headings, initial strokes, and marginalia in red. Part II: Arts. 2-4: plain initials, headings, and initial strokes in red.
Script: Part I (ff. 1-30): Written by a single scribe in humanistic cursive, below top line. Part II (ff. 31-80): Arts. 2-4 in humanistic cursive, below top line; art. 5 in a more formal humanistic bookhand.
Watermarks: Part I: similar to Briquet Oiseau 12128 and 12130. Part II: similar in general design to Harlfinger Balance 31.
- ff. 80 : paper ; ca. 205 x 129 (129 x 72) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Marston MS 49
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- mixed material
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Subject (Topic)
Biography--Middle Ages, 500-1500
Christian literature, Latin (Medieval and modern)
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Marston MS 49. and Unidentified Grammatical Treatise, Vita Vergiliana, etc. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- More Information