- Noctes Atticae
- Gellius, Aulus
- Published / Created
- [between 1400 and 1430, 1450 and 1500]
- Publication Place
- Venice (?),
- Manuscript on parchment of Aulus Gellius, Noctes Atticae (abridged).
Binding: Fifteenth century, Italy. Sewn on three tawed skin, kermes pink slit straps nailed in channels on the outside of the wooden boards. Yellow edges. The plain wound endbands may have been resewn. The spine is lined with cloth. Covered in brown, originally tan, sheepskin with corner tongues. Blind-tooled with two rope interlace stars in a central panel bordered with concentric frames. Spine: bands outlined with double fillets; panels diapered with triple fillets. Two truncated diamond fastenings, the catches on the lower board (one wanting), the upper board cut in for straps attached with star-headed nails.
Folio 1r with partial border in inner and lower margin (rubbed). Inner margin has scrolling vine, yellow, on parchment ground with red dots, with stylized foliage, flowers and fruit in green, red, purple and dove grey. Illuminated initial, 3-line, purple on dark green ground, is incorporated into border. In lower margin, wreathed medallion (unidentified mutilated arms: per pale, or and sable?) on pink ground, supported by two heraldic dragons, parchment colored (unfinished) against red ground. All of this decoration appears to be a later addition. Plain initials and headings in red.
Script: Written in fere-humanistic script by a single scribe, below top line.
- ff. ii + 100 + ii : parchment ; 233 x 140 (174 x 94) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Marston MS 83
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- mixed material
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Gellius, Aulus
- Subject (Topic)
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Aulus Gellius, Noctes Atticae. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Marston MS 83.
- Orbis Record
- More Information