- Ovid, 43 B.C.-17 or 18 A.D
- Published / Created
- [between 1500 and 1525]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on parchment of Ovid, Heroides 16 (Paris to Helen) 1-38, 145-378, with an unidentified French translation. Latin text, which is written only on the verso of each leaf, faces the French translation, which is written on the recto of each leaf.
Binding: Seventeenth century, France (?). Bound in red goatskin, gold-tooled. Gilt edges. Title, much worn, on spine.
Purchased from C. A. Stonehill in 1956 by Thomas E. Marston.
Script: Latin text written in a round humanistic script much influenced by printing; Scribe 1) ff. 1v-21v and Scribe 2) ff. 22r-36r. French text written in upright batarde; Scribe 1) ff. 2r-22r and Scribe 2) ff. 22r-36r (a more flamboyant style of script).
Two initials, one at beginning of Latin text (2-line), the other at the beginning of French text (3-line), respectively gold on blue square ground with gold filigree and gold on dark red square ground with gold filigree. Most stanzas introduced by paragraph marks in gold on blue or red alternating grounds, with gold filigree. First letter of each verse stroked with yellow, as are usually majuscules in text. Headings on ff. 1v and 2r in red.
- ff. i + ii + 36 + ii + ii : parchment ; 211 x 142 (148 x 195) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Marston MS 96
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- mixed material
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Ovid,--43 B.C.-17 or 18 A.D
- Subject (Topic)
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Narrative poetry, Latin
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Ovid, Heroides. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Marston MS 96.
- Orbis Record
- More Information