- Summa moralis
- Antoninus, Saint, Archbishop of Florence, 1389-1459
- Published / Created
- [between 1450 and 1475]
- Publication Place
- Northern Italy,
- Manuscript on paper of St. Antoninus of Florence, Summa moralis (extracts on sins, virtues and vices arranged thematically).
29 modern binders blanks at end not digitized. Back flyleaf indicative of binders blanks.
Binding: 17th-18th centuries, Northern Italy. Resewn and bound in alum tawed pigskin, blind-tooled. Lower board cut in for the strap. The boards and cover are probably early (15th century) and reworked and reshaped to fit the text block, given the large number of later blank leaves inserted at end of text and the way the text block appears to have been trimmed at the tail and the new endbands added. In addition, the title written twice, 15th century, on upper cover ("Rationale diuinorum offitiorum" of Guilielmus Durandus) does not correspond to the present text. Title, written in ink, on a square paper label on spine mutilated and largely illegible. Strip of liturgical manuscript with musical notation, 15th century?, used as spine lining.
Decorative initials, 9- to 5-line, for main text divisions, blue with red penwork designs (red much faded); headings, initials (5- to 3-line), paragraph marks in bright red; initial strokes in yellow.
Purchased in 1958 from C. A. Stonehill by Thomas E. Marston.
Script: Written by multiple scribes in small informal styles of gothic bookhand with humanistic features, below top line.
Watermarks, buried in tight binding: unidentified flower.
- ff. v + 250 + i + xxx : paper ; 233 x 165 (189 x 110) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Marston MS 163
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Marston MS 163. and St. Antoninus, Summa Moralis. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- More Information