In San Francisco
- In San Francisco
- Hutton, Wm. R. (William Rich), 1826-1901
- Published / Created
- 1853 March
- Four salted paper prints made during the Raynolds expedition of 1859-1860 depicting Laramie Hills with tipis in the foreground; a fort, possibly Fort Union; two sets of group portraits of Arapahos, one of them of Arapaho chiefs Eagle Head, Split-nose, Little Owl, and Friday. There are 17 drawings by Hutton, 11 of them of western views, most probably made during the Raynolds expedition, depicting Fort Sarpy on the Yellowstone; Eagle Creek on the upper Missouri River; the valley of Wind River; Red Canon Creek, Big Horn Mountains; and Lodge Pole Peak and Crow Peak in the Black Hills. There are nine other drawings present, six by three other identified artists: R. W. Ingle, W. Taylor, Jr., and William Rich Hutton, James' brother. The drawing by William Rich Hutton is a view of San Francisco. Accompanied by a document made out to Miss Ellen S. Hutton in thanks for her work as church organist.
Accompanied by a container list.
James D. Hutton headed the photographic unit of the 1856-1860 expedition led by Captain William Franklin Raynolds to the Yellowstone and the Wind River Mountains.
See also Hutton photographs in the William Franklin Raynolds Papers, WA MSS 393.
Verso is blank.
- 1 folder (1 drawing) : b&w ; 16.2 x 19.6 cm. on sheet 16.9 x 22.2 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- WA MSS S-2403
- Collection Title
- James D. Hutton collection of drawings and photographs.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Hutton, James D
- Collection Date
- Collection Note
- Drawings. Drawings by Others.
- Container / Volume Information
- Box 1 | Folder 22
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- James D. Hutton Collection of Drawings and Photographs. Yale Collection of Western Americana, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
- Orbis Record