Earl Amherst of Arracan letters to Sarah, Countess of Arracan, 1806-1822.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Earl Amherst of Arracan letters to Sarah, Countess of Arracan, 1806-1822.
- Earl Amherst of Arracan letters to Sarah, Countess of Arracan, 1806-1822.
- Amherst of Arracan, William Pitt Amherst, Earl, 1773-1857
- Published / Created
The collection consists of approximately 80 letters from Earl Amherst of Arracan to his first wife, Sarah, most dating from 1819 and 1820. Subjects include news of family and friends; estate management; and social and political events, including the death of George III. Amherst frequently details debates in the House of Lords and discussions with government officials. A series of 6 letters from November 1819 discusses Amherst's support of the Six Acts in the wake of the Peterloo Massacre and his fear that "the conduct of the Whigs offered the greatest encouragement to the Radicals."
The largest group of letters dates from 1820 and documents Amherst's participation in the trial of Queen Caroline and the debates in the House of Lords concerning the Bill of Pains and Penalties. While Amherst expressed repeated disgust at Caroline's conduct, the letters also document his growing concern at the possible harmful effects of the Bill and his eventual agreement that it be dropped by the House of Lords.
- William Pitt Amherst, Earl Amherst of Arracan (1773-1857), succeeded as second Baron Amherst of Arracan in 1797. A Lord of the Bedchamber in 1804-1815 and 1816-1823, he served as envoy to Naples 1809-1811 and as special ambassador to China in 1816. He was made Governor-General of India in 1823, successfully led the colony through the First Burmese War, and retired to England in 1828. He died in 1857.
- 1 folder (9 letters) ; 24 cm. and smaller
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- OSB MSS 91
- Container / Volume
- Box 1 | Folder 12
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- mixed material
letters (correspondence) (AAT)
- Subject (Geographic)
Great Britain--Court and courtiers
Great Britain--Politics and government--1800-1837
- Subject (Name)
Caroline,--Queen, consort of George IV, King of Great Britain,--1768-1821
Caroline,--Queen, consort of George IV, King of Great Britain,--1768-1821--Trials, litigation, etc
George--III,--King of Great Britain,--1738-1820
George--IV,--King of Great Britain,--1762-1830
Great Britain.--Parliament.--House of Lords
- Subject (Topic)
Napoleonic Wars, 1800-1815
Peterloo Massacre, Manchester, England, 1819
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Earl Amherst of Arracan Letters to Sarah, Countess of Arracan. James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)