- Published / Created
- [between 1350 and 1400]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript fragment on parchment of the Penitential Psalms (incomplete), probably written as part of a Book of Hours.
Binding: Nineteenth century. Bound in a piece of blind-tooled brown calf, once part of a 17th-18th century binding. Front pastedown and flyleaf from a Bible concordance, version 3 (France, ca. 1300). Back pastedown from 15th-century antiphonal, with musical notation, containing a portion of the office for Nicolas (6 Dec.).
Carefully executed initials, 3-line, on blue or pink rectangles outlined in black, mark the beginning of each psalm; partial cusped borders, also in blue and pink, attached to each. Initials infilled with intertwining vines, often on gold ground, sometimes with small animals; modest use of gold dots inside rectangular grounds and borders. 1-line initials of blue with red penwork with blue dots and of gold with blue penwork and red dots. Line-fillers in combinations of red, blue and gold (various linear and flower designs).
Given in 1926 by Leonard Bacon and Susan Bacon Keith in memory of their father, Nathaniel Terry Bacon.
Script: Written by a single scribe in liturgical gothic script.
- ff. i + 19 : parchment ; 152 x 113 (73 x 53) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 19
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Books of hours--France--14th century
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Catholic Church--Prayers and devotions
- Subject (Topic)
Books of hours
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Hours. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, MS 19.
- Orbis Record
- More Information