[Collection of lives of British Catholic saints], [1620s].
- [Collection of lives of British Catholic saints], [1620s].
- Published / Created
- A selection of extracts from John Wilson's English Martyrologe (1608) concludes with "Certayne Additions in the late Englishe Martyrs, which came to the Authors knowledge after the printing of the former catalogue.", Manuscript on paper in good secretary hand containing saints' lives and related material, including a saints' days calendar and several prayers and hymns in Welsh. Opening with a selection of Welsh lives headed "Buchedh y Seintiau", the volume includes "Vita St. Dewi, archiepiscopi, authore Ricemarcho" (Rhygyfarch); "Vita St. Albani ex lingua Anglica in Latinam translata, per Gulielmum Albanensem Monachum, qui claruit Anno 1170"; and several other lives in Latin and English., and The most extensive text in the volume is a lengthy English translation of Robert of Shrewsbury's life of St. Winifred, attributed to "Mr. Edward Morgan of Bechfield, a supposed catholique Prieste", who may well have been the Rev. Edward Morgan executed at Tyburn in 1642.
"P: Legh" written on blank verso preceding the "Table."
"Vita St. Dewi" colophon identifies the scribe as "Gulielmus Farrarus pbr."
Binding: Contemporary decorated calf, spine full-gilt, remains of label on spine.
For information on the source of acquisition, consult the appropriate curator.
Texts in English, Latin and Welsh.
- 1 v. (ca. 260 p., with blanks) ; 29 x 19 cm.
- Call Number
- Osborn fb229
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Collection of Lives of British Catholic Saints. James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record