Thomas Bowrey logbook and journal, [17--].
- Thomas Bowrey logbook and journal, [17--].
- Alternative Title
- Account Book
- Bowrey, Thomas, ca. 1650-1713
- Published / Created
- Two manuscript volumes containing logbook entries, journal entries, rental accounts, and descriptions of voyages by Thomas Bowrey. The logbook volume contains "Some particular Remarks at Kedgerry on Bengall River By Thos. Bowrey, Commander the Ship London," which are log entries from July 1 to November 4, 1701. Entries document weather conditions, arrivals and departures of other ships, supplies taken on, and trading. These are followed by seven astronomical and navigational charts, accompanied by an entry, dated December 23, 1695, recounting navigating through "fields of ice" and offering "a description of the plans of the country....during the course of my voyage endeavoring to find the northwest passage." This volume also contains a copy of Bowrey's will, as well as a drawing of the plans for Bowrey's monument and a copy of his contract with its mason; a three-page autobiography covering his life from birth to his retirement from sea in 1702; a chart of the Malabar Coast opposite Fort St. George; and copies of several poems by Shakespeare and others in a different hand.
Binding: both volumes bound in tooled full reverse calf; logbook (vol. 1) has red morocco spine label with "Account Book" in gilt letters.
Thomas Bowrey (ca. 1650-1713), pilot, East India merchant, and investor, was the compiler of the first published Malay-English dictionary (1701).
- 1 vol. : b&w, color illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Osborn fc177
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- mixed material
coats of arms (AAT)
Maps in books
- Subject (Geographic)
Bengal (India)--Description and travel
Bengal, Bay of--Commerce
Bengal, Bay of--Maps
Malabar Coast (India)--Description and travel
Malabar Coast (India)--Navigation
Northwest Passage--Description and travel
Northwest Passage--Discovery and exploration--British
- Subject (Name)
East India Company
English Company Trading to the East-Indies
- Subject (Topic)
Nautical charts--Malabar Coast (India)
Spice trade--England--17th century
Spice trade--Great Britain--17th century
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Thomas Bowrey Logbook and Journal. James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record