William Butt's dye book, 1768-1785.
- William Butt's dye book, 1768-1785.
- Butt, William, fl. 1765-1785
- Published / Created
Manuscript volume containing dozens of detailed recipes for cloth dye, accompanied by small fabric swatches dyed in the intended colors. Some entries accompanied by slips containing cloth orders and batch results.
Bound in contemporary full white parchment.
Purchased from Ken Spelman on the James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Fund, 2007.
Title from title page: William Butt's Dye Book, Nov. 24 1768.
- 1 v. (circa 90 p.) ; 39 cm. x 25 cm.
- Call Number
- Osborn fc173
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- mixed material
- Subject (Topic)
Dye industry--England--Early works to 1800
Dye industry--Great Britain--18th century
Dyers--Great Britain--18th century
Dyes and dyeing--Great Britain--18th century
Dyes and dyeing--Handbooks, manuals, etc
Workshop recipes--Early works to 1800
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- William Butt, William Butt's Dye Book. James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record