A barbers shop [graphic] / T. Rowlandson fecit.
- A barbers shop [graphic] / T. Rowlandson fecit.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- Copyright Date
- [not before 1786]
- Publication Place
- H. Brookes, Coventry Street
- "The interior of a barber's shop. A very old and completely bald man reclines in an arm-chair (left), a cloth over his shoulders; a fat barber is about to place on his head a tie-wig. On the ground at his side lies a wig with a long pigtail queue which is being befouled by a dog. Behind, on a tall stand, is a barber's block fitted with a small wig. The barber's assistant, a lean man wearing spectacles and an apron, fits a small wig on the head of a stout man, who stands in profile to the right, his hand in his coat-pocket. On the right is a lattice window in three divisions; a man sits in a chair facing the window. Wigs are hung up in the window. On a high shelf (left) are round wig-boxes. Next the shelf is nailed up a print of Absalom hanging from a tree, while his horse gallops away. ... The ceiling is raftered."--British Museum online catalogue, description of original issue.
Date of publication based on publisher's active dates. See British Museum online catalogue.
Reissue, with new imprint statement and printmaker's signature added, of a plate originally published 13 December 1780 by T. Rowlandson and J. Jones. Cf. No. 5765 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 5.
Sheet trimmed to plate mark on bottom edge.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching and mezzotint on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 25 x 33 cm, on sheet 25.5 x 34.5 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 1 of 2) | Folder I-10b
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- More Information