A barbers shop [graphic].
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > A barbers shop [graphic].
- A barbers shop [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker, publisher.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Riviere & Son Binding.
- Published / Created
- 1780 December 15
- Copyright Date
- [13 December 1780]
- Publication Place
- Rowlandson & J. Jones, no. 103 Wardour Street, Soho
"The interior of a barber's shop. A very old and completely bald man reclines in an arm-chair (left), a cloth over his shoulders; a fat barber is about to place on his head a tie-wig. On the ground at his side lies a wig with a long pigtail queue which is being befouled by a dog. Behind, on a tall stand, is a barber's block fitted with a small wig. The barber's assistant, a lean man wearing spectacles and an apron, fits a small wig on the head of a stout man, who stands in profile to the right, his hand in his coat-pocket. On the right is a lattice window in three divisions; a man sits in a chair facing the window. Wigs are hung up in the window. On a high shelf (left) are round wig-boxes. Next the shelf is nailed up a print of Absalom hanging from a tree, while his horse gallops away. ... The ceiling is raftered."--British Museum online catalogue.
Attributed to Rowlandson in the British Museum catalogue.
First two letters of "TRowlandson" in imprint form a monogram.
Sheet trimmed within plate mark.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching and mezzotint in brown ink on laid paper ; sheet 25.4 x 33.2 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume
- Vol. 1 (Box 1 of 2) | Folder I-11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 5, no. 5765
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)