Luxury [graphic] / T. Rowlandson. Misery / T. Rowlandson.
- Luxury [graphic] / T. Rowlandson. Misery / T. Rowlandson.
- Alternative Title
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- Copyright Date
- [20 December 1794]
- Publication Place
- "Two designs on one plate. [Top design]: A young couple sit in a large curtained bed; the man embraces the pretty woman. Both hold cups; a maidservant (left) (disregarded) hands them food on a small dish. The head of the bed and the curtains form the background. [Bottom design]: Two men cling desperately to a broken mast floating in a rough sea."--British Museum online catalogue.
Imperfect; top design only, with bottom design and imprint statement trimmed from sheet. Visible plate wear suggests that this is a later state of the plate; therefore, description is based on impression of reissued state in the British Museum.
Reissue of a plate published 7 March 1786 by E. Jackson. Cf. Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, pages 185-6.
Titles etched below images.
- 1 print : etching with stipple on wove paper ; sheet 16.6 x 23 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 1 of 2) | Folder I-12
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, nos. 8533-4
- Orbis Record
- More Information