[E, O, or the fashionable vowels] [graphic].
- [E, O, or the fashionable vowels] [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- [1781 28 February]
- Copyright Date
- [not before 28 October 1781]
- Publication Place
- "Gamblers seated and standing round an E.O. table. The table is octagon-shaped, the circular roulette mechanism being sunk in its centre, surrounded with the letters E.O. for even and odd. In the foreground (right), in profile to the left, a man leans back in his chair asleep, an empty purse on the table beside him; he resembles Captain Topham. The others are probably also portraits, but are more caricatured; they watch the table with gestures and expressions of anxiety and despair. There are fourteen figures."--British Museum online catalogue, description of lettered state.
Cf. Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, pages 101-3.
Date of publication based on imprint on lettered state: Pubd. Oct. 28, 1781, as the Act directs. Cf. No. 5928 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 5.
Printmaker from description of lettered state in the British Museum catalogue.
Title from lettered state.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper ; plate mark 21.4 x 25 cm, on sheet 23.8 x 27.3 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- [Proof before letters].
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 1 of 2) | Folder I-13
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- More Information