Long sermons and long sieges are apt to lull the senses [graphic].
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Long sermons and long sieges are apt to lull the senses [graphic].
- Long sermons and long sieges are apt to lull the senses [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1784[?] February 11
- Copyright Date
- [11 February 1784]
- Publication Place
- W. H. Humphry, Strand
In an inn, a parson snores while his table companion, an old soldier with a wooden leg, recounts animatedly the battle of Dettingen, the map of which hangs on the wall behind them. Next to him, a dog sleeps by the roaring fireplace above which hangs a portrait, a carbine and a sword. The inn maid approaches the table with a roast on a platter.
Attributed to Rowlandson by Grego.
Not in Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires.
The digit "4" in "1784" in imprint statement is etched backwards.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching with stipple on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 15.8 x 18.1 cm, on sheet 17 x 19 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume
- Vol. 1 (Box 1 of 2) | Folder I-16
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1784.
- Resource Type
- Prints & Photographs
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, William, approximately 1740-approximately 1810, publisher.
Riviere & Son Binding.
- Subject (Topic)
Clothing & dress--England--1780-1790.
Dettingen, Battle of, Karlstein, Unterfranken, Germany, 1743.
Eating & drinking.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 389
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)