Great cry and little wool [graphic].
- Great cry and little wool [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1783 December 22
- Copyright Date
- [22 December 1783]
- Publication Place
- Humphry's, Strand
- Charles Fox, dressed only in breeches, tries to flee from the Devil who caught him by the leg and is shearing off the hair from his chest. On the left, in front of the "India House" a group of elated men dance around a burning stake to which is tied a fox. A reference to the rejection of the India Bill in the House of Lords and the demise of the Coalition government.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue and Grego.
Several letters in imprint statement, as well as the digit "7" in "1783," are etched backwards.
Title etched below image; the letter "a" in the word "and" is etched backwards.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 22.5 x 31.2 cm, on sheet 31 x 49 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 1 of 2) | Folder I-23
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1783.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
East India Company.
Fox, Charles James,--1749-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, William, approximately 1740-approximately 1810, publisher.
Riviere & Son Binding.
- Subject (Topic)
Burning at the stake.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 5, no. 6283 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, pages 109-10
- Orbis Record
- More Information