Billinsgate [graphic] / Rowlandson 1784.
- Billinsgate [graphic] / Rowlandson 1784.
- Alternative Title
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- Copyright Date
- [not before 4 February 1786]
- Publication Place
- "A sketch of fish-wives with their baskets ranged on the pavement (left); behind are the masts and sails of vessels in Billingsgate dock. Facing them is an irate customer with a gouty leg, a fish-wife (right) fastens a flat fish to his wig, while a small urchin tugs at his coat-tails. He clenches his fist and waves his stick, shouting with indignation. Of the women opposite, one holds out a fish towards him, shouting, another laughs with hands on hips, a third lies on the ground drunkenly vomiting, the contents of her basket spilling. Behind stands a woman drinking from a bottle. All are gross and fat, their breasts bare."--British Museum online catalogue.
Date of publication based on earlier state with the imprint "Pubd. Feby. 4, 1786, by E. Jackson, N. 14 Mary le bone Strt., Golden Square." Cf. British Museum online catalogue, registration no.: G,10.29.
Reissue, with imprint burnished from plate; traces of imprint still visible below title.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper ; plate mark 11.3 x 17.2 cm, on sheet 12.2 x 18.2 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 2 of 2) | Folder I-30a
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 6725 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 150
- Orbis Record
- More Information