A view on the coast of Sussex [graphic] / T. Rowla[ndson].
- A view on the coast of Sussex [graphic] / T. Rowla[ndson].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- Copyright Date
- [ca. 1785]
- Publication Place
- "A coastal scene with a storm coming on; two men hauling in a rowing boat at centre foreground, another carrying off some oars, a woman standing on a hillock by a tree behind, looking out to the sea at left, where a sailing boat is foundering; cottages behind at right, low hills beyond the water at left."--British Museum online catalogue.
Date of publication based on impression (different state?) in the Metropolitan Museum signed "T. Rowlandson 1784" and bearing the imprint "Pubd. 1st Octr. 1785 by T. Cornell, Brunton St." Cf. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, accession no.: 56.567.33.
Imperfect; sheet mutilated in lower right corner with partial loss of printmaker's signature, and sheet trimmed within plate mark with possible loss of imprint statement.
Possibly described in Grego as "A sea-coast scene. Cottages by the sea-shore: a storm coming on" and dated to 1787.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper ; sheet 23.6 x 34.3 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 2 of 2) | Folder I-36
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 221
- Orbis Record
- More Information