The loves of the fox and the badger, or, The coalition wedding [graphic].
- The loves of the fox and the badger, or, The coalition wedding [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Coalition wedding
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1784 January 7
- Copyright Date
- [1 January 1784]
- Publication Place
- W. Humphry, no. 227 Strand
- A design with nine compartments depicting Charles James Fox and Lord North, (as a fox and badger respectively), in a series of scenes beginning with the fox beating the badger in a fight, and culminating in their wedding dance in the last compartment. The Devil is present in several frames, encouraging the union, meant to satirize the coalition.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Sheet trimmed within plate mark.
Title from item.
- 1 print : etching ; sheet 24 x 34 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 2 of 2) | Folder I-38
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1784.
- Subject (Geographic)
- Great Britain--Politics and government--1760-1789.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Fox, Charles James,--1749-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, William, approximately 1740-approximately 1810, publisher.
North, Frederick,--Lord,--1732-1792--Caricatures and cartoons.
Riviere & Son Binding.
- Subject (Topic)
John Bull (Symbolic character)--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 6369 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, pages 112-4
- Orbis Record
- More Information