His Highness the protector [graphic].
- His Highness the protector [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1784 January 19
- Copyright Date
- [19 January 1784]
- Publication Place
- W. Humphry, no. 227 Strand
- "Fox, scarcely caricatured, stands before the door of the Treasury (right), which is closed with an enormous padlock. He looks to the left, holding a dagger in his right hand, the key of the padlock in his left. Beside him (right) is his watchdog, with the head of North, his star attached to his collar. In the background (left) is a wall, perhaps the wall of the Privy Garden, in front of some buildings. Ballads for sale (or placards) are strung along the wall, a man sits beside them, three others stand on the pavement."--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching with stipple, hand-colored ; plate mark 32.2 x 22.4 cm, on sheet 45 x 31 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 2 of 2) | Folder I-39
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1784.
Watermarks (Paper)--I. Taylor.--CtY-BR
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Fox, Charles James,--1749-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, William, approximately 1740-approximately 1810, publisher.
North, Frederick,--Lord,--1732-1792--Caricatures and cartoons.
Riviere & Son Binding.
- Subject (Topic)
Daggers & swords.
Street vendors--England--London--18th century.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 6379 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 114
- Orbis Record
- More Information