A peep into Friar Bacon's study [graphic].
- A peep into Friar Bacon's study [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1784 March 3
- Copyright Date
- [3 March 1784]
- Publication Place
- W. Humphry, no. 227 Strand
- In a room reminiscent of a magician's study, the King, dressed in a cloak as Friar Bacon (a necromancer of popular fable), evokes visions of the royal power while the brazen head speaks. Each vision is represented by a large medallion inscribed, "Constitution," and shows a different balance of power between the king and both houses of Parliament. On the left, Fox, Burke, and North, peek in through an open door, appearing alarmed. On the right, a number of men walk down the "back stairs." The first of them, carrying a conspirator's lantern and led by the devil, is Lord Temple.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Sheet trimmed within plate mark.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching ; sheet 26 x 37 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 2 of 2) | Folder I-47
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1784.
- Subject (Geographic)
- Great Britain--Politics and government--1760-1789.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Buckingham, George Nugent Temple Grenville,--Marquess of,--1753-1813--Caricatures and cartoons.
Burke, Edmund,--1729-1797--Caricatures and cartoons.
Fox, Charles James,--1749-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
George--III,--King of Great Britain,--1738-1820--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, William, approximately 1740-approximately 1810, publisher.
North, Frederick,--Lord,--1732-1792--Caricatures and cartoons.
Riviere & Son Binding.
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 6436 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 119
- Orbis Record
- More Information