Master Billy's procession to Grocers Hall [graphic].
- Master Billy's procession to Grocers Hall [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1784 March 8
- Copyright Date
- [8 March] 1784.
- Publication Place
- W. Humphry, no. 227 Strand
- A large and animated procession approaches the Grocers' Hall on the left, led by musicians and Wilkes who tosses coins to the crowd. In the first of the three coaches, shown as a child's or an invalid's chair, sits Sir Watkin Lewes, alderman and M.P. for the City, in the central one rides Pitt, behind him Sir Barnard Turner, alderman and Sheriff. The windows of the buildings are filled with spectators. On the right, above the vitrine to "Neat Wines" shop, hangs a large portrait of Lord Chatham. A burlesque rendition of the procession that took place on February 28.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching, hand-colored; plate mark 24.8 x 35 cm, on sheet 31 x 44 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 2 of 2) | Folder I-48
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1784.
- Subject (Geographic)
- Great Britain--Politics and government--1760-1789.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Grocers' Company (London, England)
Humphrey, William, approximately 1740-approximately 1810, publisher.
Lewes, Watkin,--Sir,--1740?-1821--Caricatures and cartoons.
Pitt, William,--1759-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Pitt, William,--Earl of Chatham,--1708-1778--Caricatures and cartoons.
Riviere & Son Binding.
Turner, Barnard,--1741 or 1742-1784--Caricatures and cartoons.
Wilkes, John,--1725-1797--Caricatures and cartoons.
- Subject (Topic)
Parades & processions.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 6442 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, pages 119-20
- Orbis Record
- More Information