Eastward ho!, or, The young statesman's ramble [graphic].
- Eastward ho!, or, The young statesman's ramble [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Young statesman's ramble
- Cruikshank, Isaac, 1756?-1811?, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1784 March 24
- Copyright Date
- [24 March 1784]
- Publication Place
- W. Humphry, no. 227 Strand
- The rivalry between Fox and Pitt is shown in a series of seven images beginning with the portraits of each of them. In the third image, Fox and Pitt fight for a Twelfth Cake, with Fox winning. In the fourth, Nobody (i.e., the King), gives Lord Temple, carrying dark lantern, a note supporting Pitt's claim to the Cake. In the fifth image, a grocer complains about Fox's actions against smuggling. In the sixth, on his return from the Grocers' Hall on February 28, Pitt participates in a riot. He is opposed by a diminutive Jeffery Dunstan, the popular 'mayor of Garrett" and Fox's supporter. In the seventh, Pitt and his companions are thrashed by men with sticks.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Sheet trimmed within plate mark.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching ; sheet 24 x 34 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 2 of 2) | Folder I-50
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1784.
- Subject (Geographic)
- Great Britain--Politics and government--1760-1789.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Buckingham, George Nugent Temple Grenville,--Marquess of,--1753-1813--Caricatures and cartoons.
Cornwall, Charles Wolfran,--1735-1789--Caricatures and cartoons.
Dunstan, Jeffery,--1759?-1797--Caricatures and cartoons.
Fox, Charles James,--1749-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
George--III,--King of Great Britain,--1738-1820--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, William, approximately 1740-approximately 1810, publisher.
Pitt, William,--1759-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Riviere & Son Binding.
- Subject (Topic)
Clothing & dress--England--1780-1790.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 6464
- Orbis Record
- More Information