The state auction [graphic].
- The state auction [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1784 March 26
- Copyright Date
- [26 March] 1784.
- Publication Place
- W. Humphry, no. 227 Strand
- William Pitt, acting as an auctioneer in the dissoluted Parliament, sells from the rostrum decorated with Royal Arms "useless valuables," such as "Magna Charta." Cornwall, the Speaker sitting below the rostrum, records bids in the "Sundry acts." In front of him stands Thurlow in Chancellor's robes making dismissive comment on "nonsensical bidings of those common fellows," i.e. members of the House of Commons who leave through the door on the left. Last of them, Fox, turns back vowing to bid "with spirit" for lot 1, "rights of the people in 558 vol." held on display by Henry Dundas. A reference to the dissolution of the Parliament by the King on March 25.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Sheet trimmed within plate mark.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching ; sheet 25 x 34 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 2 of 2) | Folder I-51
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1784.
- Subject (Geographic)
- Great Britain--Politics and government--1760-1789.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Cornwall, Charles Wolfran,--1735-1789--Caricatures and cartoons.
Dundas, Henry,--1742-1811--Caricatures and cartoons.
Fox, Charles James,--1749-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, William, approximately 1740-approximately 1810, publisher.
Pitt, William,--1759-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Riviere & Son Binding.
Thurlow, Edward Thurlow,--Baron,--1731-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
- Subject (Topic)
Clothing & dress--England--1780-1790.
Great Britain.--Parliament, 1783-1784.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 6469 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 121
- Orbis Record
- More Information