The drum major of sedition [graphic].
- The drum major of sedition [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1784 March 29
- Copyright Date
- [29 March 1784]
- Publication Place
- Mrs. Dackery, St. James's Street
- In the center of the image, Major Cartwright holds a long staff in his right hand, as he delivers a pro-Pitt speech in Covent Garden. To his right, in a pleading attitude, stands Lord Hood, the ministerial candidate opposing Charles Fox in the upcoming Westminster election. Neither attracts any attention from the crowd of Fox's supporters listening to a man speaking from the portico of St. Paul's.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Ten lines of text below title: All gentlemen and others electors for Westminster who are ready and willing to surrender their rights and those of their fellow citizens to secret influence ...
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching ; plate mark 35.0 x 25.1 cm, on sheet 40 x 30 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 2 of 2) | Folder I-52
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1784.
- Subject (Geographic)
- Great Britain--Politics and government--1760-1789.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Cartwright, John,--1740-1824--Caricatures and cartoons.
Darchery, Elizabeth, publisher.
Hood, Samuel Hood,--Viscount,--1724-1816--Caricatures and cartoons.
Riviere & Son Binding.
- Subject (Topic)
Clothing & dress--England--1780-1790.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 6474 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, pages 121-2
- Orbis Record
- More Information