The Hanoverian horse and British lion [graphic].
- The Hanoverian horse and British lion [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1784 March 31
- Copyright Date
- [31 March 1784]
- Publication Place
- W. Humphry, no. 227 Strand
- Charles Fox, riding a lion, and William Pitt, on a white horse, face each other in the House of Commons, in front of the vacated Speaker's chair. Fox, holding a whip in one hand and a bridle in the other, tries to convince Pitt to dismount the untamed horse that stands with its front legs on a large sheet signed, "Magna Charta, Bill of Rights, Constitution," and kicks with the hind legs and defecates at the fleeing crowd of the members of Parliament. In return, Pitt praises his steed for its wild behavior. The last of the members pushing toward the door is the Speaker, Cornwall, in a wig and carrying the Speaker's mace. A satire on the dissolution of the Parliament on March 25.
Abbreviation "No." in imprint statement appears in superscript above the digit "7" in street number "227."
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Text below title: A scene in a new play lately acted in Westminster with distinguished applause. Act 2nd scene last.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 25 x 35.2 cm, on sheet 30 x 40 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 2 of 2) | Folder I-54
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1784.
- Subject (Geographic)
- Great Britain--Politics and government--1760-1789--Humor.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Cornwall, Charles Wolfran,--1735-1789--Caricatures and cartoons.
Fox, Charles James,--1749-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, William, approximately 1740-approximately 1810, publisher.
Pitt, William,--1759-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Riviere & Son Binding.
- Subject (Topic)
Coats of arms.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 6476 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, pages 123-4
- Orbis Record
- More Information