Lords of the Bedchamber [graphic].
- Lords of the Bedchamber [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1784 April 14
- Copyright Date
- [14 April 1784]
- Publication Place
- W. Humphry, no. 227 Strand
- "The Duchess of Devonshire (right), in morning cap and gown, makes tea for Fox and Sam House who sit side by side on a sofa (left). The duchess leans back in her chair, one hand on the tap of the urn, while she hands a cup to a footman who stands with a tray. Sam (left) has been served first; he sits stirring his tea and gazing adoringly at Fox (right), who playfully pats his bald head. A spaniel stands in front of them, begging. On the wall behind are two freely sketched whole length portraits: behind the duchess is Reynolds's portrait of her husband standing by his horse (as in British Museum Satires No. 6546), the other is over the heads of House and Fox."--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue and Grego.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 24.7 x 35 cm, on sheet 29 x 40 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 2 of 2) | Folder I-62
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1784.
- Subject (Geographic)
- Westminster (London, England)--Politics and government.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Cavendish, Georgiana Spencer,--Duchess of Devonshire,--1757-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Devonshire, William Cavendish,--Duke of,--1748-1811--Caricatures and cartoons.
Fox, Charles James,--1749-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Great Britain.--Parliament--Elections, 1784.
House, Samuel,--d. 1785--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, William, approximately 1740-approximately 1810, publisher.
Riviere & Son Binding.
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 6529 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, pages 128-9
- Orbis Record
- More Information