The Covent Garden night mare [graphic].
- The Covent Garden night mare [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Covent Garden nightmare
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- [1784 April 14]
- Copyright Date
- [ca. 20 April 1784]
- Publication Place
- W. Humphry, no. 227 Strand
- A parody of The Nightmare by Henry Fuseli in which a naked Fox lies prone on a bed with a demon on his chest. Behind them a horse with bulging eyes pokes his head through the bedcurtains. On a table in the foreground are a pair of dice and dice-box.
Printmaker and date of publication from British Museum catalogue.
Sheet trimmed partially within plate mark.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 26 x 36 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 2 of 2) | Folder I-63
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1784.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Fox, Charles James,--1749-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Great Britain.--Parliament, 1783-1784.
Great Britain.--Parliament--Elections, 1784.
Humphrey, William, approximately 1740-approximately 1810, publisher.
Riviere & Son Binding.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 6543 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 129
- Orbis Record
- More Information