Reynard put to his shifts [graphic].
- Reynard put to his shifts [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1784 April 23
- Copyright Date
- [23 April 1784]
- Publication Place
- G. Humphrey, n. 48 Long Acre
- "The Duchess of Devonshire stands, her feet apart, raising her skirt to allow a fox (Fox) to take cover under her petticoats. She turns her head in profile to the right towards a huntsman on foot who halloos to his hounds, "Tally O my good Dogs"; his two dogs bark, "No Coalition" and "No India Bill". The duchess says, "My dear Fox get into Cover". She looks very-handsome and bold, a sash round her waist streams out in the wind; in her hat are the usual ostrich plumes (cf. British Museum Satires No. 6530, &c), fox's brush, and favour inscribed 'Fox'. The fox crouches under her feet, looking round at his pursuers in alarm."--British Museum online catalogue, description of a later state.
Attributed to Rowlandson by Grego.
For a later state with "No. 13" added in lower left corner and "London" added at end of imprint, see no. 6551 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 24.8 x 35.2 cm, on sheet 27.1 x 38 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 2 of 2) | Folder I-67
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1784.
Watermarks (Paper)--J. Whatman.--CtY-BR
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Cavendish, Georgiana Spencer,--Duchess of Devonshire,--1757-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Fox, Charles James,--1749-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Great Britain.--Parliament--Elections, 1784.
Riviere & Son Binding.
- Subject (Topic)
Women in politics--Great Britain--18th century.
Women--Political activity--Great Britain.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 132
- Orbis Record
- More Information