The Westminster mendicant [graphic].
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > The Westminster mendicant [graphic].
- The Westminster mendicant [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1784 [May] 11
- Copyright Date
- [11 May 1784]
- Publication Place
- H. Humphry, no. 227 Strand
"A blind beggar, Sir Cecil Wray, is led (right to left) by his dog, round whose neck hangs a 'Subscription Box'. He supports himself by a long staff; in his left hand is the dog's cord, and under his left arm is a larger box, inscribed 'Subscription Scrutiny Box'. He sings: "Pity the Weak, and Needy pray, Oh pity me, I've lost the day." Behind the dog is a placard inscribed: "See here the Dog, of all his kind, The fittest for a Beggar blind, The Beast can bark or grunt as Hog. His name is Churchill - Oh the Dog!"."--British Museum online catalogue.
Four lines of verse below title: Ye Christians charitable, good and civil, pray something give to this poor wandering devil ...
Plate from: The history of the Westminster election.
Printmaker and month of publication from British Museum catalogue.
Temporary local subject terms: Buildings: Covent Garden Church -- Allusion to scrutiny -- Allusion to John Churchill of Westminster.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper ; plate mark 21.2 x 15.1 cm, on sheet 23 x 18 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume
- Vol. 1 (Box 2 of 2) | Folder I-75
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1784.
- Resource Type
- Prints & Photographs
- Subject (Geographic)
- Westminster (London, England)--Politics and government.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Great Britain.--Parliament--Elections, 1784.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Riviere & Son Binding.
Wray, Cecil,--Sir,--1734-1805--Caricatures and cartoons.
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 6578
Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, pages 137-8
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)