Secret influence directing the new P-l-t [graphic].
- Secret influence directing the new P-l-t [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Secret influence directing the new Parliament
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- [1784 May 18]
- Copyright Date
- [18 May 1784]
- Publication Place
- W. Humphry, no. 227 Strand
- "The king, seated on a throne on a dais of two steps, says, "I trust we have got such a House of Commons as we Wanted". On his right is Thurlow (left) with the body of a bird of prey; he is saying "Damn the Commons, the Lords shall Rule". Behind the throne crouches Bute in Highland dress, saying to Thurlow, "Very Gude, Very Gude Damn the Commons". On the king's left is a head in profile to the left supported on an erect serpent's body; probably intended for Pitt (a poor portrait but resembling Pitt in British Museum Satires No. 6664). In the foreground (right) sits Britannia asleep, resting her elbow on her shield. A man wearing a ribbon, perhaps the Prince of Wales, rushes up from the right with outstretched arms, saying, "Thieves! Thieves! Zounds awake Madam or you'll have your Throat Cut"."--British Museum online catalogue.
Letters "th," perhaps the remnants of a former publication line, are etched above Humphrey's name in imprint.
Printmaker and date of publication from Grego.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 24.9 x 35.2 cm, on sheet 30 x 44 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 2 of 2) | Folder I-81
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1784.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Bute, John Stuart,--Earl of,--1713-1792--Caricatures and cartoons.
George--III,--King of Great Britain,--1738-1820--Caricatures and cartoons.
George--IV,--King of Great Britain,--1762-1830--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, William, approximately 1740-approximately 1810, publisher.
Pitt, William,--1759-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Riviere & Son Binding.
Thurlow, Edward Thurlow,--Baron,--1731-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
- Subject (Topic)
- Britannia (Symbolic character),--depicted.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 6587 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, pages 140-1
- Orbis Record
- More Information