The petitioning candidate for Westminster [graphic].
- The petitioning candidate for Westminster [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1784 May 28
- Copyright Date
- [28 May 1784]
- Publication Place
- T. Cornelle
- "Fox, with a fox's head and brush and dressed in tartan kilt and plaid, gallops (right to left) on a shaggy pony along the road from Kirkwall to London. He waves his cap, saying, "From the Heath covered Mountains of Scotia I come." The background is a mountainous landscape with a lake on which is a boat. A signpost (left) points (right) 'To Kirkwall' and (left) 'To London'."--British Museum online catalogue.
Later state, with alterations to text. For an earlier state with the title "The norther'n candidate for Westminster" and with the word "Scotia" in speech bubble misspelled "Scola," see Lewis Walpole Library call no.: 784.05.28.01.1+.
Printmaker identified as Rowlandson and artist identified as Lord James Manners in the British Museum catalogue and Grego.
Sheet trimmed within plate mark on three sides.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper, hand-colored ; sheet 24.4 x 34.9 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 2 of 2) | Folder I-83
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1784.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Fox, Charles James,--1749-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Manners, James, Lord, artist.
Riviere & Son Binding.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 6602 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 143
- Orbis Record
- More Information