[Pastoral scene with couple] [art original].
- [Pastoral scene with couple] [art original].
- Alternative Title
- Rest from labour on sunny days
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, artist.
- Published / Created
- Copyright Date
- Publication Place
- "Rustic scene; a swain sitting on a stone block, playing the flute to a young, barefoot woman who stands in front of him, looking up at him and leaning back against his right leg, a dog at her feet at left; behind at left, the outer wall of an overgrown stone edifice, trees beyond."--British Museum online catalogue, description of a print of the same composition.
Attributed to Rowlandson by curator.
Cf. Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 150.
From a collection in fourteen volumes compiled by Francis Harvey and dispersed at auction, Sotheby, London, June 1900. Sold at Sotheby, London, 12 March 1919. Bequest of Hugh Dudley Auchincloss to Yale University Library, 1981. Bound by Riviere & Son in three-quarters red morocco with gold tooling and gold lettering on spine.
Possibly a study for a print of the same composition that is signed "Rowlandson 1784." Cf. British Museum online catalogue, registration no.: 1852,0214.165.
Title devised by curator.
Title given by Grego for a print of the same composition: Rest from labour on sunny days.
- 1 drawing : gray wash on laid paper ; sheet 23.6 x 18.1 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
No linguistic content; Not applicable
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 2 of 2) | Folder I-86a
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Thomas Rowlandson, Pastoral Scene With Couple. Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- More Information