[Col. Topham endeavouring with his squirt to extinguish the genius of Holman] [graphic].
- [Col. Topham endeavouring with his squirt to extinguish the genius of Holman] [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Colonel Topham endeavouring with his squirt to extinguish the genius of Holman and To what, oh Muse! can I compare ...
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- Copyright Date
- [5 October 1785]
- Publication Place
- "Topham, in full regimentals, standing in profile to the left, directs a large syringe at a sun (left) rising above a hill, inscribed 'Genius of Holman'. Behind him, holding leading-strings attached to his epaulettes, are Mrs. Wells and John Henderson. Above Topham's head flies an owl with papers in its beak inscribed 'Prologue' (twice) and 'Epilogue'. He says, looking up: 'Yes much belov'd and all excelling Pair, What Modern Beau can do, I nobly dare, Against this Youthfull Phaeton will write, Censure, defame, do every thing but fight.' Mrs. Wells says: "Well done Noble Captn down with him a forward Boy indeed, to attempt the Character of our Friend H------n here, and contrary to your Superior Opinion". Henderson, clenching his fist, says, "Presumptious Youth, what! does the Stripling dare, in the same path to Fame, with me to walk - Damnation!" A soldier with a musket standing on the extreme right says, looking towards Topham, "A Soldier, by the bloody Arm of Mars, he looks far better fitted for to tend my lady's Lap Dog - or her Fan to bear"."--British Museum online catalogue.
Eighteen lines of verse in six columns etched below image: To what, oh Muse! can I compare, in heaven, water earth or air, the furious epilogue? ...
Sheet trimmed within plate mark.
Title, printmaker, and date of publication from Grego.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 23.3 x 34.9 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume Information
- Vol. 1 (Box 2 of 2) | Folder I-87b
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1785.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Henderson, John,--1747-1785--Caricatures and cartoons.
Holman, J. G.--(Joseph George),--1764-1817.
Riviere & Son Binding.
Topham, Edward,--1751-1820--Caricatures and cartoons.
Wells, Mary,--approximately 1759---Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 6854 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 166
- Orbis Record
- More Information