[The dead alive!] [graphic] / H. Wigstead 1784.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > [The dead alive!] [graphic] / H. Wigstead 1784.
- [The dead alive!] [graphic] / H. Wigstead 1784.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- Copyright Date
- Publication Place
"The coffin is placed on trestles next to a four-poster bed (the deathbed of a rich man?). The lid of the coffin bears an elaborate brass plaque inscribed "Mr Gripe departed this life Ague" (last word indistinct). Arising from out of the coffin, Mr. Gripe disturbs the woman who was reading a large book (presumably a business ledger). On the ground, a soup bowl, a bottle and a glass, suggesting that she had poisoned him."--Wellcome Library online catalogue, description of a later state.
Attributed to Rowlandson by Grego.
Early state, before aquatint added. For later states published by William Holland in 1795 and 1805, see Lewis Walpole Library call no. 795.07.00.02+ and Wellcome Library no. 533361i.
First of two plates with the same title, both etched by Rowlandson after Wigstead; see Grego. For the second plate, see British Museum online catalogue, registration no.: 1947,1215.2.
Imperfect; sheet trimmed within plate mark with probable loss of title and imprint statement.
Not in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires.
Title from later states of the plate.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper, hand-colored ; sheet 23 x 28.2 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 1
- Collection Title
- The political and humourous works of Thomas Rowlandson, 1774-1825
- Collection/Other Creator
- Harvey, Francis
- Collection Created
- Container / Volume
- Vol. 1 (Box 2 of 2) | Folder I-88
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1784.
- Resource Type
- Prints & Photographs
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Holland, William, active 1782-1817, publisher.
Riviere & Son Binding.
Wigstead, Henry, artist.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 390
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)