Commanders engaged at sea [graphic] / T. Rowlandson 1785.
- Commanders engaged at sea [graphic] / T. Rowlandson 1785.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- Copyright Date
- [between 1785 and 1802?]
- Publication Place
- "Two officers of high rank sit together in a cabin, gambling intently at cup (actually spike) and ball. One (left) wears a star; the other, who is older and stouter, watches the dangling ball held by his companion. At their feet is a pile of coins on papers inscribed 'Twenty Pound'. Under the former's foot is a plan of 'Fotification [sic]', under the latter's a large wall-plan of the disposition of a fleet, on which land and 'Ocean' are marked. On the broad many-paned window behind them hangs ramed plan of celestial and terrestrial globes inscribed respectively 'Celiastial' and 'Teristial'. Behind (right), a burly sailor pours out tea for the two effeminate officers, with an expression of pained contempt."--British Museum online catalogue, description of a later state of similar composition.
Final words of burnished imprint statement barely visible below title: [...?] Oxford Street.
Later state, with title altered and imprint statement burnished out, of a print published in 1785 with the title: Sea amusement, or, Commanders-in-Chief of cup and ball on a cruise. Cf. Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, pages 176-8.
Probably published before 1802, when the imprint "Pubd. July 1st, 1802, by S.W. Fores, 50 Piccadilly" was added and the plate reissued. Cf. No. 9875 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching with stipple on wove paper ; plate mark 25.4 x 35.5 cm, on sheet 26.2 x 36.2 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record